To provide practioners with the skills and knowledge in order to become proficient in performing the skill of cannulation safely.
- Overview of venous anatomy and correct vein selection.
- Discuss legal and professional responsibilities.
- Identify correct cannulation selection and technique.
- Identify potential adverse reactions to the procedure and how to manage complications if they occur.
- Discuss infection, prevention and control and various health and safety issues.
At the end of the course delegates should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of professional responsibilities including consent.
- Justify the need for cannulation.
- Be aware of venous anatomy and reasons for good vein selection.
- Demonstrate appropriate infection prevention and safety principles when performing cannulations.
- Outline the potential complications during and after cannulation.
- Demonstrate good technique while inserting a cannula into a manikin arm.
- Perform a venous cannulation in a real person under supervision.