To develop the knowledge and skills required to undertake safe and effective venepuncture and intravenous cannulation.
- Overview relevant anatomy.
- Learn the current methods for blood withdrawals.
- Outline the insertion of IV cannulas.
- Discuss local guidelines and legislation.
- Outline the criteria for site selection and what device to use.
- Review the principles of control of infection.
- Understand the health and safety issues of venepuncture and intravenous cannulation.
- Outline possible complications and to mitigate these risks.
- Discuss the physical and psychological comfort of the patient.
You May Like:
Certificate in Phlebotomy
Clinical Skills for Healthcare Assistants Training
At the end of the course delegates should be able to:
- Explain the legal and professional implications of venepuncture and intravenous cannulation.
- Identify relevant anatomy and physiology.
- Explain site selection and the differences between each device.
- Safely carry out the procedure in relation to infection control.
- Discuss health and safety issues of venepuncture and intravenous cannulation.
- Identify the potential problems which may be encountered.
- Demonstrate how to physically and psychologically comfort a patient.