To provide the knowledge and practical competencies needed to deal with a range of emergency first aid situations involving children or infants.
- Outline the role and responsibilities of a paediatric first aider, including contents of a first aid kit.
- Identify how to assess an incident safely, and how to record and report accidents or incidents.
- Be able to provide first aid to an infant and a child who is unresponsive and demonstrate CPR.
- Identify when to place an infant or a child into the recovery position, and demonstrate while monitoring vital signs.
- Administer first aid to an infant or a child who is experiencing a seizure.
- Provide first aid to an infant or a child with suspected injuries to bones, muscles and joints, including fractures, dislocation and sprains.
- Provide first aid to an infant or a child with suspected head and spinal injuries.
- Know how to provide first aid to an infant or a child with conditions affecting the eyes, ears and nose.
- Know how to provide first aid to an infant or a child with an acute medical condition or sudden illness, including a diabetic hypoglycaemic emergency, asthma attack, an allergic reaction, meningitis and febrile convulsions.
- Be able to provide first aid for an infant and a child:
– who are choking
– who have external bleeding
– who are suffering from shock, including electric shock
– who are suffering from anaphylaxis
– with burns and scalds
– with suspected poisoning
– with bites and stings
– with small cuts, grazes, bumps and bruises
– with small splinters
– with nosebleeds
Upon successful completion, delegates will receive certification valid for 3 years. Learners need to retake the qualification before the certificate expiry date to remain qualified. However, the issued training recommendations from the EYFS state that delegates should complete an annual refresher each year.
You may like:
QA Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid (RQF) Annual Refresher
Safeguarding Children for Early Years Staff
At the end of the course delegates should be able to:
- Understand the role and responsibility of the paediatric first aider.
- Assess an emergency situation safely.
- Demonstrate how to correctly manage and record any incidents/accidents, in accordance with the workplace policy.
- Provide first aid for an infant and a child who is unresponsive, choking or suffering from shock.
- Provide first aid to an infant and a child with external bleeding, bites, stings or other minor injuries.
- Provide first aid to an infant and a child with a suspected fracture or head, neck or back injury.
- Understand how to administer first aid to an infant and a child who is experiencing the effects of extreme heat and cold, or various burns/scalds.
- Understand how to provide first aid to an infant or child with anaphylaxis, including the use of auto-injectable devices.